HISTORICAL MARKER DEDICATION and PERSONNEL REUNION
On October 20,2001, a State historical marker was dedicated to the honor of all personnel who were in the Navy and Marines or worked in a civil service capacity at NAS Melbourne.The dedication especially honors the 65 men who died at the station in performance of their duty.
NAS Melbourne was commissioned as Operational Training Unit 2 on October 20,1942 and closed on February 15,1946.The Station was used for training newly commissioned Navy and Marine pilots.
There were over 2,200 pilots who trained in Grumman F4F Wilcat and F6F Hellcat fighter planes.Of the pilots trained, 63 died in aerial accidents and two enlisted men died in ground-related accidents.
Today the area is operated by the City of Melbourne Airport Authority
Pride in the Melbourne Naval Air Station has been published in the book US Naval Air Station, Melbourne Florida, WW II by William R, Barnett who was a student pilot there in summer of 1944.
William (Bill) Barnett
Initial downloading of this site requires time; be patient, the old pictures are worth the wait.
Return to Page Index upper left to select other pages